Steamed Yam Cake
Posted by icyelite on December 28, 2009
After such a long time of resting baking, cooking food cum recipe testing, I had a sudden urge to cook steamed yam cake. It has been a long time since I last ate steamed yam cake. Without any recipe for reference, I bought yam from NTUC, thinking that mum surely knows how to cook it. Lol. She guides me along the way.
Recipe of Steamed Yam Cake (Frying the mixture)
1 Yam (depends on how much you want)
1 packet of rice flour
2 tbsp of starch/ tapioca flour (to thicken the mixture)
1 tsp of salt
7 bowls of water
- Slice the mushroom and cut the yam into small cubes.
- Measure 7 bowls of water and pour into a mixing bowl.
- Add rice flour, pepper, salt into the mixing bowl.
- Fry the mushroom and yam with sesame oil/vegetable oil.
- After frying the mushroom and yam, pour the mixture (mixing bowl) into the pan and fry.
- Stir the mixture continuously.
- Add in starch flour into the pan.
- Stir the mixture until it becomes sticky texture (looks like glue texture) and transfer it to a baking tin, ready to steam it.
- Steam for approximate 1 hour and use toothpick to test that nothing sticks on it.
Tips: While adding in the seasoning into the mixture, taste it making sure that its not too blend and have a wonderful taste.
- Cut the yam cake into small pieces.
- Garnish the steamed yam cake with parsley, sliced red chili and fried cabbage and you are ready to serve.
- Serve the steamed yam cake together with sweet dark soy sauce and chili.
You can use the same recipe for cooking steamed pumpkin cake too.